The Abbey & Commendator's House Melrose
1 April - 30 September Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 9.30 am to 5.30 pm
1 October - 31 March Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 9.30 am to 4.30 pm
The best known of the 4 great Border Abbeys founded in the 12th century, Melrose features many times in the story of the border Kers. Look out for the burial place of the Kers of Yair. In the surrounding hills, on the slopes of the Eildon Hills the Battle of Melrose took place in 1526, here Sir Robert Ker of Cessford was killed by an Elliot as he pursued the defeated Walter Scott of Buccleuch. The incident led to a feud between the Kers and the Scotts lasting decades. Visit the Commendators House. Mary Ker, daughter of Sir Thomas Ker of Ferniehirst married James Douglas of Melrose the last Commendator of Melrose 1569 – 1620. They lived at the Commendators House reconstructed for James Douglas in 1590. Over the entrance on the south side of the stair tower is a lintel with the initials of James Douglas and Mary Kerr of Ferniehirst and the date 1590. Melrose is a beautiful little border town and well worth a visit. Good food is available in the small cafes, bistros and comfortable hotels.
Commendators House at Melrose Abbey