The Friary, Jedburgh
All Year Round
The site of a Franciscan Friary founded in the 16th century by Andrew Ker of Ferniehirst was Discovered in 1982. Regarded as the last monastery built in Scotland and the most extensive Franciscan Friary visible in Scotland, the location of the original walls and drains are marked out with gravel and cobbles. Burned by the English in 1523 and again during the 'Rough Wooing, in 1544.
Known as the ‘grey friars’ (describing the colour of their habit), the Franciscan order were horticulturalists, teachers and healers with close links to the local people. The garden has been designed to contain examples of the sort of plants the friars would have grown for food, medicine and practical uses.
The Friary is tucked away in the corner of the Supermarket car park at the North end of Jedburgh High Street